Becoming a Registered Play Therapist

Play Therapy Credentialing

Play therapists follow their licensing board regulations (LCSW, LPC, PhD) and also have the option of pursuing training and credentialing of becoming a Registered Play Therapist (RPT) and a Registered Play Therapy Supervisor (RPT-S).

Registered Play Therapist (RPT)


1.  Be a licensed mental health practitioner with a Master's Degree or higher.

2.  2000 hours clinical direct client contact hours. 

2.  150 hours of approved play therapy CEs.  

- Must be an Approved Provider by APT.

- No more than 50 CE's may be non-contact hours

3.  500 direct client contact hours under supervision and 50 hours of simultaneous play therapy supervision.

Beginning Jan 1, 2020, all supervision will need to be under the supervision of an RPT-S.

4.  Renewal period is every 36 months achieving 18 CEs

Registered Play Therapy Supervisor (RPT-S)


1.  Same as RPT

2.  In addition to the 2000 hours required for state licensure, 3 years and 3000 direct client contact hours post-licensure.

3.  150 CE hours of approved play therapy CEs

- Must be an Approved Provider by APT

- No more than 50 CEs may be non-contact hours

4.  300 hours in addition to the 500 direct contact hours required for RPT, of direct client contact of play therapy experience.

5.  Supervisor training is required. Complete 6 hours of play therapy specific supervisor training


1) demonstrate completion of either state board requirements for supervisor training

OR ~

2) complete APT’s supervisor requirements (24 hours of supervisor training) These hours may be contact or non-contact hours

School-Based Registered Play Therapist (SB-RPT)


1.  Current and active individual state license or certificate from the State Department of Education to independently practice as a school counselor or school psychologist.


2.  Master’s or higher mental health degree with demonstrated coursework in • child development, • theories of personality, • principles of psychotherapy, • child & adolescent psychopathology, and • ethics


3. General clinical experience required by the State Department of Education school counselor or school psychologist license/certification, --plus 2 years of continuous work in school setting post-licensure/certification.


4.  150 hours of play therapy specific instruction from institutions of higher education or APT-Approved Providers (limit 50 non-contact hours).

5. The applicant for the SB-RPT must be supervised by an RPT-S for a period of no less than 1 school year during which the applicant documents a minimum of 600 direct client contact hours utilizing play therapy plus 50 hours of concurrent supervision. A maximum of 25 hours of the 50 hours of supervision may be in a group setting. These supervised hours must be completed during or after the applicant earned his/her Master’s degree. 

© 2023 by Senior Residence. Proudly created with

  • w-googleplus
  • w-facebook
  • Twitter Clean